The Montclair Swim Team

Adventures of a 12 & Under swim team from Oakland, CA.

12 March 2010

Dropping time in a busy schedule

Every once in a while a swimmer just starts dropping time.  I'm not the coach so I have absolutely no idea what happened to cause this, I just see it when I compile the results.  And sometimes these results are out of this world.


There's one swimmer on the team, let's call her Laura (actually that's her real name), who is and has always been a breaststroker.  For this session, she was promoted to the Shark group and it has started paying dividends already.  Consider this sample of time drops since the end of the Fall session:
  • 50 free: 5 seconds
  • 100 free: 11 seconds
  • 100 back: 13 seconds
  • 100 IM: 10 seconds
Even without context, you can tell that's an amazing achievement.  Luckily, with so much dead time between events at swim meets, I was able to ask her mom a bit about how this is happening and the answer surprised me.  Just let them sign up for any and every activity they can think of.  Laura is involved in multiple sports, a team engineering competition, I think she said piano, and still puts swimming as her top sport/activity.

So to drop time, just be busy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a blog about kids' swimming. If you're a spammer, please consider that.